How to prepare your pets for a less stressful 4th of July
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Many celebrate the Fourth of July with fireworks that feature dazzling colors and loud booms.
Pets are often unfamiliar to these sights and sounds, so they can get spooked easily.
Here’s what you can do to help prepare your pets for a less stressful July 4 holiday, according to Cape Coral Animal Shelter officials:
- Repair fences now
- Update tags and microchips with the most recent information in case they get out
- Ask your vet about using calming medications to soothe anxiety
- Create a safe room or place for your pet
- Use food and treats to distract animals from scary sounds
- Make sure to exercise your pet during the day
- Ask guests to keep doors and gates closed
- Listen to music or turn on a TV show for background noise to help drown out the scary sounds
CLICK HERE to learn more about how to make sounds less scary for your pet.
The post How to prepare your pets for a less stressful 4th of July appeared first on NBC2 News.NBC2 (WBBH-TV)